The MDHSA Graduation Ceremony is open to all students who:
- Are receiving a MDHSA Diploma Program diploma or
- Are in the MDHSA CVS program (please contact the MDHSA office for Graduation Ceremony Forms and Instructions)
- Are current members of the MDHSA Local Support Group
- Desire to become members of the Support Group for the sole purpose of participating in the ceremony. If you are interested in becoming a member in order to participate in the MDHSA Graduation Ceremony ONLY, please email DIPLOMA@PA.NET on or after February 1st, and the information packet will be mailed or emailed to you. The membership fee is prorated to $10. This fee must be paid in addition to the Graduation Ceremony Registration Fee. This membership fee funds MDHSA in order to keep offering services to our members and the non-member home education community, including this MDHSA website and the Graduation Ceremony. If you learn about the ceremony AFTER April 20, and desire to participate, email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no guarantee that you will be able to participate, as seating is limited.
The MDHSA Graduation Ceremony is usually held the last Saturday in June. However, always wait until the current year date is posted on the page.
A current year Graduation Ceremony Registration Form must be submitted in order to participate in the Ceremony. Forms may be obtained by logging on to one of the secured sections of the MDHSA website.
If you need more information or are unable to download the Ceremony Registration Form, contact email@example.com or call 717-749-5767.
ABOUT THE CEREMONY
CURRENT YEAR: 2018 — Saturday, June 30
Location: Chambersburg, PA (South Central Pennsylvania)
The ceremony starts with a procession of seniors wearing caps and gowns of various colors, followed by a welcome and invocation, selected student talent, a student address, and a challenge to students by a commencement speaker. It culminates with parents presenting diplomas to their students while the biography is read aloud by a moderator. In recent years, there has been a beautiful candle ceremony when the parents hand a lighted candle to the student during the recessional. Some parents also include a small Bible.
There is a rehearsal in the morning at 8:30 for talent, and 9:30 for the remainder, with at least one parent practicing awarding the diploma to the students. Diploma Program parents are given the student’s diploma at this time. A group picture is usually taken by a photographer.
At 12:00, there is a break for lunch. Graduates must be done with lunch by 1:00.
Guests should arrive no later than 1:15 or 1:20 as the ceremony begins promptly at 1:30.
The ceremony lasts approximately 1 hour. The number participating in the Ceremony is typically between 25-40 graduates.
More details are on the instructions that come with the registration form. Click on the Registration from link at the very top above the words “Graduation Ceremony”.
CAPS AND GOWNS NOTICE:
Graduates will obtain their own caps, gowns and tassels in any color of their choice. Caps and gowns must be worn. Any exception must be cleared with the MDHSA administrator by April 20 or no later than 10 days BEFORE the ceremony. Students may use a cap and gown of a family member or friend or purchase one used or new from a supplier of their choice. They will need to purchase a tassel, as these usually have the current year date on them. DO NOT ORDER / WEAR HONOR CORDS FOR THE MDHSA GRADUATION CEREMONY. For your convenience, here are suppliers that sell caps, gowns, tassels, invitations, announcements and more:
- http://www.milligans.com/ Order line: 1-800-544-4696, Customer Service: 251-867-5895, Fax: 251-867-8865 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- http://www.homeschooldiploma.com/ 1-877-466-2563
- http://www.capsngowns4less.com/ 1-985-898-2620
- http://www.gradshop.com/graduation-cap-and-gown 1-855-719-4723
- http://www.jostens.com/grad/homeschool_lp_main.html 1-800-854-7464
- http://www.graduationsource.com/high-school.html 1-800-352-6162
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT RECEIVING YOUR DIPLOMA:
To MDHSA Diploma Program Students
Any students wishing to receive a MDHSA High School diploma this coming spring, but have not yet registered with MDHSA DIPLOMA PROGRAM (not Support Group Membership), should:
- Go to the Purchase tab
- Order a Diploma Guide (if you have not already done so)
- Send in (or complete online) the DIPLOMA PROGRAM Registration/Filing Form as soon as possible (NOW).
- Mail the Registration Form, along with the 9-11th grade Evaluations/Transcripts, MDHSA Annual Summary Form and Transcript(s), and payment(s). As soon as the 12th grade evaluation is completed, send a copy of that evaluation and the 12th grade ASF and Transcript immediately AND have the digital transcript emailed to the address on the ASF.
- The deadline for submitting final paperwork (if participating in the MDHSA Graduation Ceremony) is May 30th. All other Diploma Requests – Please allow 30 days after the office has received ALL final / correct documentation for your Diploma Request to be processed.
FOR ALL STUDENTS, whether participating or not participating in the MDHSA Graduation Ceremony.
The MDHSA Office requires 30 days notice from the time a DIPLOMA REQUEST is received at the office and MAILING THE DIPLOMA. Please keep this in mind if planning graduation celebrations or if participating in a graduation ceremony elsewhere.
If paperwork is submitted at least 30 days before the Graduation Ceremony, but necessary documentation is missing, MDHSA will contact you concerning this. Any missing paperwork must be received at MDHSA by June 11, or the student will be able to “walk” at the MDHSA Graduation Ceremony, but will not receive the diploma until AFTER the ceremony.
NOTICE TO CHALC GRADUATION CEREMONY STUDENTS:
CHALC GRADUATION CEREMONY PARTICIPANTS – Please be sure to schedule your evaluations in March or April. Your final paperwork should be received in the MDHSA office at least 30 days before you wish to receive the diploma in the mail.